Thursday, August 26, 2010

Commitment Made

So the book arrived this afternoon and after a bit of reading I figured out how much yarn would be needed.

SIXTY BALLS OF YARN.

Yes, you did in fact read that right. I just placed an order for 60 balls of yarn, or 6600 yards for a single project. Yes, I am freaking out a little. This afghan (will be bedspread by the time it's all over) is a huge commitment!

What it boils down to is 30 12" squares.
The book has 24 squares so I'm going to have to find patterns for 6 more squares that are equally as awesome. If anyone has a suggestion of afghan squares you just LOVE please feel free to post them!


What I've been working on this week:
Pumpkins!!



These hats have been so relaxing to make while hanging out in the evenings , watching a movie with my husband. Both of my girls just love them although I guess they look a little silly wearing Pumpkin hats 2 months before Halloween. It's got me thinking about what other fruit and veggie hats I can knit!

On the family front, both of my girls were allergy tested yesterday. The eldest was diagnosed with a mild cat allergy- totally doable. While our youngest, well here is the list:

cats
house dust
cashews
eggs (yolk and white)
dairy
casein
peanuts

There are still more tests to be done in the future.
Yesterday we came home with an epipen and four pages of foods V can't eat. Feeling very overwhelmed I got on Amazon and found a few cookbooks that looked promising. I'll probably order this one first and go from there. I'd love to hear other experiences of having children with allergies. Please forward my blog on to anyone you think might have advice or experiences to share!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a project you are taking on. Am excited to be along for the ride! : )

    LOVE the pumpkin hats. Will be ordering two from you soon.

    Sorry to hear about the allergies. Wish I had advice to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can speak first hand about the quality of Helen's work! I have ordered several items: the soakers, the longies (leggins), and several caps. Each time, the quality of the yarn, the vivid colors used, and the excellence of Helen's knitting are all outstanding! Helen takes the measurements and custom makes the items. They make perfect gifts... Thanks, Helen, for providing the opportunity to purchase these unique and quality products! Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pumpkin hats! I need one for my son. We are big on Halloween and I *love* fall.

    ReplyDelete