Saturday, August 28, 2010

"what was I thinking??"

I was looking through the GAAA book earlier today trying to decide on a first square so I am ready when the yarn arrives (hopefully on Monday). I was thinking to myself, what have I DONE? These patterns are really hard and I have only just learned cable knitting.

A few hours later I got on my computer and came across one of my very favorite quotes. It helped a lot:

"Until one is committed there is always hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: The moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising to one's favor all manner of unforeseen accidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe


The only way I will not succeed is if I don't begin- or give up somewhere along the way. So there. I'm truly committed. 






NOTE:
(experienced cable/chart knitters, get ready for a slew of questions!!!)

5 comments:

  1. The only cabling I've done was a soap sweater, and that turned out okay. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't nearly as impossible as I had feared. I suspect it'll be easier on an afghan square, since the soap sweaters were done in the round.

    Although I suspect you know of them, I meant to point out all the squares that Lorena designed for the Hanks afghan project in 2009. If you don't know about them, they increase in technical difficulty as the year progresses, ending with a really nice fair isle square that Sharon designed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Arne for the support and the link! I didn't know about those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One step (Or square, in this case) at a time! Actually, just one stitch at a time. =)

    ReplyDelete