Saturday, October 23, 2010

Violet's Friday Food Post- Sweet VS Savory

My Divvies' Bakery Cookbook came last week and I got busy making sweet treats I wouldn't ordinarily make for a 19 month old!

The first recipe we chose (Ella insisted) was Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Icing (both vegan). I even managed to score some cupcake sprinkles made with real vegetable dye instead of yucky red 40, yellow 5 (which V breaks out into hives from) etc.
The Divvies Chocolate Cupcake and Vanilla Frosting

Next time I make these I plan to make a "cream cheese"/powdered sugar frosting as opposed to this "butter cream" recipe. The girls loved them (squeals of "good! good!") and even Chris (a hard sell) said he enjoyed them.

Next from the Divvies Cookbook, Mini Marshmallow Chocolate Clusters, showed up as result of one of my late night cravings for chocolate.
I wish I could post these recipes but just don't feel right about it, especially since this is such a new book. I will say these were absolutely delicious and I will be making these again and again for parties or when I need something sweet in a pinch. The entire make time took about 5 minutes and I had all the ingredients already in my pantry. I used Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, added about a teaspoon of canola oil (not in the recipe) and Dandies Marshmallows (vegan!). The ultimate test- I had to stop Chris from eating these out of the fridge so I could photograph them the next morning!
chocolate cooling/hardening

look how pretty! so easy and delicious!

Salmon Burgers with Vegan Avocado Dip
The girls were not home at the same time to eat these and loved them so much they each wanted the others serving. Ella tried to convince me that Violet could have bananas for dinner instead!


(egg free variation on Weelicious Salmon Burgers)
Ingredients:
1 Lb. Fresh Salmon, skinned
1ener-G "egg"
1 Tsp Dried Dill
1/2 Tsp Salt


Place ingredients in a food processor and pulse until just combined (you should still see tiny pieces of salmon).
2. Form into patties and place on a sheet tray lined with foil or plastic wrap (mixture will be sticky. Using wet hands will make forming the patties much easier).
3. Cover and refrigerate the salmon patties for 1 hour.
4. Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large skillet.
5. Cook the patties for 3 minutes on each side.

Vegan Avocado Dip 
in a bowl combine with a fork (I like mine chunky but you could food process this mixture for a smoother texture):
2 tablespoons of Grape Seed Oil Vegenaise
1 avocado 
pinch of salt

Summer Rolls
I've come to realize recently these could be filled with just about anything including fruit or meat.
This week my rolls were filled with any combo of avocado (a must for me), carrots, beansprouts, cucumber, plum sauce and Better Than Cream Cheese (didn't much care for it in my rolls).
These were not a kid favorite (yet) but I loved them so much I made them almost every day for my lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment